Let’s talk dreamy desserts. These Hot Cocoa Cupcakes with Peppermint Marshmallow Filling and vanilla buttercream with chocolate drizzles topped with peppermint marshmallows and peppermint candy chunks (HELLOOO big mouthful!) is literally the best thing I’ve ever eaten. I’m serious. Maybe it’s the fact that I haven’t eaten a real cupcake in probably 4 years – WHO AM I? – that makes these babies so good, though everyone that’s tried them has fallen head over heels in love with them!
The best part, they’re gluten free and vegan and no one could even tell!! For my dairy free, egg free friends, this one’s for you! I can’t even tell you how excited I am about these cupcakes. They’re D.R.E.A.M.Y.
Let’s talk vegan buttercream. For the longest time it’s been a struggle to make a vegan buttercream that can stand up to the traditional stuff and stay room temperature, or even look as pretty and have the same texture – but TODAY my friends, today it has happened. The key is this vegan butter, it’s soy free, non gmo and AMAZING. You need it for these Hot Cocoa Cupcakes with Peppermint Marshmallow Filling, need need need.
A long time ago when we lived in Michigan, my sister and I ALMOST opened a cupcake bakery called YUM CAKES, and oh my gosh would it have been fun. I know for sure we would have these Hot Cocoa Cupcakes with Peppermint Marshmallow Filling there! Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a chef. I would tell my mom when I was a little girl that I just wanted to cook, and look where life put me! The best job a girl could ask for, making delicious foods to share with you guys!
Honestly it’s the styling of the food that I love the most. It makes me happy in ways I can’t explain, it’s like when anyone finds their dream job they just thrive and love every second. Isn’t that what life is about anyway!? Loving what you do. And if it involves sweets and food and chocolate dripping over delicious buttercream frosting I’M IN.
PLUS, my very favorite marshmallow company, Dandies, is super generous and supplying me with some goodies for a GIVEAWAY!! That’s right! The giveaway is over on Instagram, so head over there now so you can join the party! The winner will be announced 12/16/16 so go go go! The winner will get 1 bag of mini marshmallows, 1 bag of mini peppermint marshmallows and 1 bag of regular marshmallows (which is perfect for these chocolate peppermint dipped marshmallows!) If you haven’t tried dandies yet you will love them! They’re vegan, gelatin free, all natural non-gmo marshmallows made without corn syrup! OH and they’re kosher! I mean, come on. Fluffy pillows of heaven that I don’t have to feel bad about when I add 700 mini marshes to my hot cocoa. They hit the jackpot with their recipe, and I know you’ll love them too! So go enter now! Then make these Hot Cocoa Cupcakes with Peppermint Marshmallow Filling right away!
Don’t forget to tag me @amy.sheree or #amysheree when you make these Hot Cocoa Cupcakes with Peppermint Marshmallow Filling for a chance to get reposted!
- 1 1/2 cups Better Batter Gluten Free Flour*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 1/4 cup milk of choice, I used flax milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup mini peppermint marshmallows
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- 5 oz. coconut cream
- 4 oz. chocolate
- Mini Peppermint Marshmallows
- Crushed Candy Canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl add all wet ingredients, mix and set aside
- In a separate bowl whisk together all dry ingredients until combined
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until completely combined with no lumps
- Line a cupcake pan with liners and fill each liner 2/3 of the way full with batter
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Let cool completely
- Once cool, carve out a small piece in the top center of the cupcake for the filling to go
- Create a double boiler by boiling 1 inch of water in a small pot and placing a heatproof glass bowl on top of the pot, add marshmallows and coconut oil and heat, mixing often until marshmallows and coconut oil melt (alternately heat in the microwave in small increments until melted)
- Pour melted marshmallows and oil into a larger bowl, add milk and mix with an electric mixer while slowly adding sifted powdered sugar
- Mix until well combined and fluffy
- Pour mixture into a ziplock baggie and cut the corner off and squeeze into the center of the cupcake
- In a large bowl add vegan butter and whip with an electric mixer
- Slowly add powdered sugar and remaining ingredients and whip until light and fluffy
- Scoop frosting into a piping bag and pipe on cupcakes
- Place chocolate in a small bowl
- Heat coconut cream until steaming and pour over chocolate, let sit for 1 minute and whisk until completely melted and combined
- Place chocolate and cupcakes in the fridge for 15 minutes to cool so chocolate doesn't melt the frosting
- Once both are chilled drizzle chocolate over the frosting and top with marshmallows and crushed peppermint candies
- *Not all gluten free flour acts the same. Better Batter has the correct texture so I can only promise it will come out the same if you use this brand. If you try other gluten free flour brands, please leave a comment below so others can know too! If you are not gluten free replace this with regular all purpose flour.